Never Underestimate Kids

The past couple of weeks have just been fantastic if you’re a fan of the Olympics! But even if you’re not, I can’t imagine how anyone couldn’t be impressed by the skill, dedication and sportsmanship that’s been on display.

There’s been so many things to enjoy and talk about when it comes to the Olympics (just check out my new podcast with Mr Fredericks called Talkin’ Sports Talk on Spotify!) but I think I have a new favourite event – Park Skateboarding.

It helps that Australia won the gold medals in both the mens and womens events, but I still really enjoyed watching it all. The skills on display were incredible, it was short and exciting, and I loved the nerve-jangling waits to see the scores pop up. But above all else, I loved the genuinely supportive vibe between all the athletes. It was so refreshing to see competitive rivals being so happy for each other’s successes and being so “stoked” just to complete a run and do their best, no matter what the result.

Even more refreshing was that the vast majority of competitors were just kids! Much has already been written about Arisa Trew becoming our youngest ever medalist in Olympic history – imagine being a gold medal winner at just 14!

But for me, I really enjoyed the fact that these teenagers have been showing that kids can do anything, and are genuinely nice people.

So many PCS staff and students can tell you how passionate I am about people putting down teenagers just because of their age – saying that they don’t have manners, are obsessed with their phones, they’re not like we were “back in our day!” I hate hearing stuff like that!!!

The Olympians are fantastic, but at PCS I see the outstanding things kids do every day.

The start of Term 3 is one of my favourite times, because the senior students are starting the final stretch of their year. Final assessments are completed, major works come together and exams are taken.

Each year our seniors put together performances of professional standard, amazing designs and products that could easily be on sale out in the real world, show brilliant problem solving skills, produce creative stories and thoughtful analysis, and much more.

Then we have all the contributions to school events – this week we have had the Little Wings Charity Day, raising thousands of dollars to help sick kids – the whole thing has been dreamed up, organised and run by the kids in the SRC. They cook BBQs, set up furniture, clean up, decorate the Hall for various events, and work so hard without expecting thanks.

They also support each other, encourage their friends when they’re feeling down, look after each other, and model the character of Jesus in chapel services, Bible studies and their daily interactions with younger kids.
Seriously – kids are amazing, whether winning gold medals, or just making a friend smile – never underestimate kids.

Greg

Share your love

Get In Touch

For all enquiries please call the school office on 02 6862 4164 or send us a message.